Spicy Stuffed Eggplant
- 1/4 cup couscous
- 1 small eggplant, halved
- olive-oil spray
- 1 teaspoon harissa spice mix
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 3 dried apricot halves, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 125g can chickpeas, rinsed, drained
- 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts
- 3 tablespoons chopped mint, plus extra, to garnish
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons grated edam
- Preheat oven to 190°C. Cook couscous according to packet instructions. Use a fork to fluff cooked couscous and set aside.
- Meanwhile, scoop flesh from eggplant, leaving a 1cm-thick layer in skins. Dice flesh.
- Set a medium non-stick frying pan over medium heat and spray with olive oil. Add diced eggplant, spice mix, garlic and shallot; cook for 3–4 minutes, or until veg soften.
- Remove frying pan from heat. Add reserved cooked couscous with remaining ingredients, except edam; mix well. Spoon couscous mixture into eggplant skins and sprinkle with grated edam. Place stuffed eggplant halves in a small baking dish. Pour a little boiling water into dish to surround halves.
- Bake stuffed eggplant halves for 15–20 minutes, or until edam topping is bubbling and golden.
- Garnish stuffed eggplant with extra chopped mint and serve.
Serves: 1 Time to make: 30 mins