Prep time 5 mins Cook time 10 mins
Total time 15 mins Serves: 4 – 6
2lb/1 kg pumpkin (any), chopped into large chunks (remove skin and seeds)
2 medium onions, sliced
2 cloves of garlic
3 cups / 750ml chicken or vegetable stock
1 cup / 250ml milk (see notes for vegan subs)
Salt and pepper
1. Combine all ingredients (except salt and pepper) in a saucepan and bring to boil, then reduce heat and let simmer until pumpkin is tender.
2. Remove from heat and use a stick blender to blend until smooth. If you don’t have a stick blender, use a blender – see notes.
3. Season to taste with salt and pepper, then serve with crusty bread.
4. Variations: For a richer finish, substitute the milk with cream, but add after blending and do not bring to boil.
5. Garnishes: Dollop of yoghurt, sour cream or creme fraiche goes wonderfully.
1. To make it vegan, substitute with almond or soy milk.
2. If you don’t have a stick blender, you can use a blender BUT you must make sure that the soup is cooled slightly before blending it, otherwise you will find out the hard way that hot soup + blender = soup explosion (literally, the lid will blow off the blender when you start blending it).