Healthy Garlic Prawn Pasta
- 350g linguini
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot, peeled and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 450g fresh or frozen raw prawns, peeled, tails removed, and patted dry (if frozen, thaw in the refrigerator overnight before using)
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes,
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 350g frozen broccoli, thawed and drained
- 450g frozen mixed vegetables of your choice, thawed and drained
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- Zest and juice of 1 large or 2 small lemons
- Chopped fresh parsley
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook pasta. Reserve 1/4 cup of the pasta water, drain remaining water, then toss with a bit of olive oil to prevent sticking. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the shallot and cook about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute. Add the prawns then sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon red pepper, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Sauté, stirring to coat with garlic, just until cooked through about 3 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium high. Add the broccoli and other vegetables, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon red pepper, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Cook the vegetables 4 to 5 minutes. Add the white wine and return the prawns to the skillet, then cook for 2 minutes, allowing the wine to reduce. Stir in the lemon zest and juice and remove from heat.
- Add the pasta to the skillet and toss. If the pasta is too dry, add a bit of the reserved pasta water. Serve warm, topped with parsley and Parmesan.